Posted by Greg on January 18th, 2010 with tags: , , , , , , ,

Last weekend my mom, Meemaw (!), came to visit us for 4 days.  It had been about 4 months since she’d seen Hazel so many many things had changed.  Hazel has been fairly weary of strangers, so my mom was worried that it would take a while for her to get used to her…luckily Hazel only gave her an abbreviated hour of probationary time before she started giggling and smiling and letting my mom hold her.


We had a fairly action packed start to our weekend with Meemaw with a trip to see Cirque du Soleil’s OVO in San Francisco.  Hazel handled it extremely well and actually seemed to enjoy it for maybe the first hour or so.  She managed to drop a bomb of a poop which we had a heck of a time with – no bathrooms except for porta-pottys, so we had to change her right in the middle of a big pavilion on a concrete floor.  After that we went to one of Yenari’s favorite Italian restaurants in SF where the duration of our trip started to take its toll on Hazel and we didn’t have the easiest time eating…nonetheless, a great trip into San Francisco with my mom and Hazel.

My mom’s visit also allowed Yenari and I to go to our first movie together since the night before Hazel was born when we saw Up!  This time we went to see Avatar and both enjoyed the movie and actual ability to do something without Hazel.  My mom fared well in Hazel watching – she went through three trials in feeding Hazel…her bottle, a sippy cup, and finally the winner: a shot glass!  On returning home Hazel didn’t even seem to care that we were back – Meemaw did a good job!

The night before my mom left my friend Sarah, who I’ve known since high school, came over for dinner.  Hazel was the total center of attention of the evening with cameras in her face, puppies, and lots of faces – here she is handling it fairly gracefully:

Center of attention

It was great to have my mom visit for a few days, though the days went too fast.  Luckily we’re going to see my mom (and others) again soon when Yenari and Hazel accompany me on a business trip to NYC at the end of this month.  Yenari had a tough time deciding on whether she should come along or stay at home with Hazel…both would be very tiring, but in the end travel won out so that my mom and my grandmother could spend more time with Hazel.  It’ll be difficult though…both ways we have 6am flights and Yenari even has to work on the day we travel home…eeek!

The biggest downside of the weekend my mom visited was that Yenari got sick – what started as just a sore throat and cough in the mornings turned into full-on bronchitis.  While that was nasty enough, Yenari added to the fun by getting a stomach virus which brought its fair share of nausea, vomiting, delusional thoughts (thinking of cutting out her stomach), and other pleasantries.  The past week has seen three trips to the doctor, a week and a half of sick leave from work, and a very sick mommy.  The whole family suffers when a mom is sick and this was certainly no exception.  She’s getting better now, but her cough is still pretty nasty and she’s not up to eating spicy Korean food yet!

At the height of Yenari’s sickness I brought Hazel into the eye doctor for her first checkup.  Every parent should take advantage of the InfantSEE program – thousands of doctors participate in this program that provides free eye screenings for babies older than six months.  Yenari had some eye problems as a child that could have been much easier on her had they been discovered earlier, so she was very eager to have Hazel checked out.  Luckily everything looked great and Hazel cooperated just about as well as a baby could be expected with the lights, lenses, eye drops, and all the other fun things that come along with an eye doctors visit.

Finally, a couple photos we took yesterday:

Lazy Sunday morning

Closeup where you can see her teeth coming in:

Hazel's chompers

Hazel's chompers

Lazy Sunday morning

Lazy Sunday morning

Lazy Sunday morning



  1. Katie Says:

    amazing photos! sounds like a great time you all had – hope Yenari is feeling better. also, violet has that same baby doll (pink stripes in last photo) – and it is her #1.

  2. Sarah Says:

    That’s terrific that you went to the Cirque show! We hope Yenari recovers soon….

  3. mark schwartz Says:

    Thank you for mentioning the InfantSEE® program on your blog, and for helping us to spread the word about the importance of infant eye health.
    We are grateful to each blogger who shares their InfantSEE® experience with their fellow followers, friends, family— and everyone with young children in their lives. From speaking with parents all around the country, we have learned word-of-mouth is one of the program’s most effective promotional tools.
    InfantSEE® is now on Facebook, and I’d like to invite you to join our Fan Club. Through the Facebook page, it is our goal to be able to share the program with as many people as possible, while also collecting stories from parents about how InfantSEE® made an impression on their lives – and that of their child’s. Your story may encourage another parent to have their infant’s eyes assessed. We’d love for you to participate!
    Thank you again for blogging about InfantSEE®. If you have any questions, or would like to know other ways you can become involved with the InfantSEE® program, please feel free to contact me.
    Mark Schwartz, MPH
    InfantSEE® Program Manager
    1800-365-2219 x 4149

  4. Rebecca Says:

    Lots of excitement for your beautiful girl! I’m jealous that you saw Ova! I’m glad Yenari’s starting to feel better – sounds like a nasty series of illness. We’re experiencing the increased incidence of sickness since having a baby, too. And thanks for mentioning the InfantSEE program – we’ll look into it!

  5. Rebecca Says:

    Oops, I meant Ovo 😉

Leave a Comment